Jim Meadows qualified as a physical therapist in England in 1972. He has received instruction in manual therapy from a number of authorities including Dr. James Cyriax M.D., Cliff Fowler, Rolf Lauvik, and Erl Pettman in England, Canada, and Norway. He passed the Canadian final examinations in manipulative therapy in 1982. He is a registered instructor and retired examiner with the Canadian Physiotherapy Association and the North American Institute of Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy (NAIOMT). He is also the past chair of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association Orthopedic Division's Education and Specialization. He is the current Chair of the Orthopedic Subspecialty Council and a member of the Executive Committee for the Physical Therapy Specialty Council. He is a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Manual Therapy and Vice President of Curriculum for the North American Institute of Orthopedic Manual Therapy.
Jim Meadows has lectured extensively in Canada and the USA to National and International Conferences and Symposia including the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, the Canadian Academy of Manipulative Therapy (CAMT), the American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy, the North American Institute of Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy (NAIOMT) and the International Federation of Manipulative Therapy. He has also presented to numerous provincial and state organizations, hospitals and medical groups on various aspects of orthopedic manual therapy. He has contributed chapters in various texts on manual therapy as well as articles on the same subject to a number of journals.
||Student physiotherapist, Prince of Wales' School of Physiotherapy,
||Locum physiotherapist, Prince of Wales' Hospital, London, England
||Physiotherapist, Oppsal Fysikalske Institut, Oslo, Norway
||Physiotherapist, Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, Welwyn Garden City, England.
Orthopedic in and out patients pediatrics and intensive care.
||Contracting physiotherapist at Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield, England.
Various rotations at senior physiotherapist level.
||Senior physiotherapist and later assistant director of physical medicine,
Powell River General Hospital, B.C.
||Director of Physical Medicine, M.S.A. Hospital, Abbotsford, B.C.
||Owner and private practitioner, Crescent Physiotherapy Clinic, Langley,
||Manager/Physiotherapist, Whyte Avenue Physiotherapy Clinic, Edmonton,
||Physiotherapist, College Plaza Physiotherapy Clinic, Edmonton, AB
||Consulting Physiotherapist, College Plaza Physiotherapy Clinic, Edmonton,
||Adjunct Lecturer in Orthopedic Manual Therapy, University of Alberta
||Chairman and President Swodeam Consulting Inc, Calgary, AB
||Member Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (M.C.S.P.)
||Member Canadaian Physiotherapy Association (M.C.P.A.)
||Part A, C.P.A.'s manipulation examinations
||Part B (distinction), C.P.A.'s manipulation examinations
||Canadian Orthopedic Manipulatve Physiotherapists (C.O.M.P.)
||Instructor, Orthopedic Division, C.P.A.
||Clinical supervisor, Intermediate manual therapy course, Vancouver.
||BSc.PT. University of Alberta
||Examiner, Orthopedic Division, C.P.A.
||Instructor in Orthopedics, University of Alberta
||Instructor/Examiner, North American Institute of Manipulative Therapy
||Adjunct Faculty, Pacific University, Portland, OR, Texas Women's University, Dallas, TX, St. Andrew's University, Barren Springs, MI
||Chartered Society of Physiotherapy's undergraduate curriculum at the
Prince of Wales' School of Physiotherapy, England
||One year part time course in orthopedic medicine and manipulative therapy
from Dr. James Cyriax M.D.
||Residency training in manual therapy from Rolf Lauvik MNFF, Oppsal
Fysikalske Institut, Norway
||B.Sc.PT. degree completion program University of Alberta.
- Introductory acupuncture course, Vancouver, B.C.. Jim McGreggor, Brent
Brown, Chan Gunn.
- TMJ dysfuntion, Vancouver, Barret Dorko and H. Gelb.
- The Dental Management of TMJ dysfunction, Vancouver B.C. Dental
- Muscle energy techniques, Surrey, B.C., Cliff Fowler
- Posturotherapy and Muscle energy techniques, Portland, Oregon, John
Oldham and Alan Morgan.
- Part C course in Cyriax techniques, San Francisco, California
- Myofascial release, Vancouver, B.C., Barret Dorko.
- Thoracic Spine Diane Lee, Seattle
- Medical Screening, Regional Differential Diagnosis and Special Topics
for the Physical Therapist. Colorado Springs, CO. David Musnick MD
- Lumbar and Cervial Dissection Anatomy Course, Denver, Lance Twomey
- Cervical and Lumbar Anatomy. Colorado Springs, CO
- Cervical Dissection Anatomy Course, Biloxi, MS, Lance Twomey
- Graduate student in the M.Sc.PT program University of Alberta. Courses
- research methodology,
- dissectional anatomy
- instrumentation etc.
- Assistant on various EV1-V4 and upper and lower quadrant courses.
- Muscle energy techniques, Powell River, Vancouver, Victoria and Fort
- E1V1 Edmonton, Vancouver, Saskatoon
- E2 Edmonton, Vancouver, Saskatoon
- V2 Edmonton, Vancouver and Saskatoon
- E3 Edmonton Calgary, Fort McMurray, Grande Praire
- V3 Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Saskatoon and Kelowna, St. John,
- Peripheral clinical anatomy, Edmonton
- Part A preparation course, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon and Winnipeg.
- Advanced Orthopedic Course, Calgary
- E2-3 Combined course, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Grande Praire, Denver, Regina
- V2-3 Combined course, Edmonton, Denver and Seattle
- Lower quadrant course, Penticton, Halifax, St. John, Toronto, Winnipeg,
- Upper quadrant course, Halifax, Winnipeg, Hamilton, London (ON), Saskatoon,
- Segmental motion dysfunction of the spine, Annual General APTA Hawaii
- Level 1 Seattle, Denver, San Francisco, Orlando, Rapid City, Dallas
- Level 2 Lower Course Denver, San Francisco, Orlando, Seattle, Rapid
City, Albuquerque, Big Rapids, MI, Dallas, Berrien Springs MI
- Level 2 Upper Course Denver, San Francisco, Orlando, Seattle, Rapid
City, Spokane, Grand Rapids, Dallas, Dayton OH
- Level 3 Lower Course Denver, San Francisco, Orlando, Seattle, Grand
Rapids, Dallas, Detroit
- Level 3 Upper Course Denver, San Francisco, Orlando, Seattle, Dallas
- Combined Level 1/2 Lower Quadrant Course, Louisville
- Combined Level 1/2 Upper Quadrant Course, Louisville
- V4/Level 4 Edmonton, Portland (OR) Toronto, Calgary
- The Motor Vehicle Accident Patient, Pocatello, Calgary, Louisville,
New Orleans, Atlanta, Colorado Springs, Breckenridge (CO), Toronto, Winnipeg,
Edmonton, Anchorage, Point Clear AL (Alabama PTA State Conference 1996),
Saskatoon, Denver, Rapid City SD. Regina SK, Seattle (Washington PTA State
Conference 1996), Nashville, Chicago, Biloxi (AAOMPT preconference course),
Boston, Vancouver, Santa Monica, Milwauki, Los Angeles, Gulfport MS
- Work Rehabilitation, Louisville, Banff (Alberta), Denver
- PTHER 484 (undergraduate mobilization course) Dept of Physical Therapy,
University of Alberta
- Differential Diagnosis for Manipulative Therapists Lexington KY
- Supervised Clinical Residency, Colorado Springs
- Headache, dizziness and chronic neck pain. Boston
- Spinal Manipulation, Edmonton, Calgary, Pittsburgh
- Spinal Manipulation Therapy, Edmonton, Calgary, Louisville, Boston
- Spinal Manipulation, Powell River Medical Society
- Pelvic Arthrokinematics, International Federation of Manipulative
- Report on a pilot study to determine the parameters and problems in
a study on the prognostic value of compression and torsion tests on the
lumbar spine. Canadian Orthopedic Manipulative Therapists (COMP) Annual
General Meeting Whistler
- Electrical Modalities, Panel presentation, Vancouver PABC
- The evolution of the human posture. Vacouver, PABC
- Chondromalacia Pisiform, COMP., Whistler, BC
- The evolution of human posture, COMP., Whistler, BC
- Counter evolutionary postures as one cause of psoas tendonitis, CPA
congress, New Brunswick
- Spinal manipulation, Panel presentation, Edmonton, APA
- Evolution of Bipedalism, Ist. Orthopedic Symposium, Edmonton
- The examination of the shoulder. Edmonton, NAOU
- Detection and management of spinal instability, Post-congress course,
CPA congress, Las Vegas
- Summary and wind up of orthopedic panel presentation CPA congress,
- Stress testing of the transverse band of the alar ligament, C.O.M.P,
- An overview of the sacroiliac joint. Saskatchewan University hospital
and faculty, Saskatoon
- The assessment of the cervical spine. CPA Congress, Charlottetown,
Prince Edward Island
- The pelvic tilt: a step towards yesterday. 5th. Canadian Orthopedic
Physical Therapy Symposium. Calgary, Alberta
- A review of the literature on EMG studies and posture. 5th. Canadian
Orthopedic Physical Therapy Symposium. Calgary, Alberta
- The assessment and treatment of the thoracic spine. CPA Congress,
- Manual Examination of the low back. Northern Alberta Orthopedic Unit,
- Roles and Responsibilities in Managing the Disabled Back. Continuing
Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary
- Safety considerations in vertebral artery testing. 5th. International
Conference of the International Federation of Manipulative Therapists,
- Assessment and Treatment of the Post-MVA patient. Annual General Meeting
of the Northern Alberta Orthopedic Unit
- Etiology of Bizarre Signs and Symptoms Occurring post Motor Vehicle
Accident. Canadian Orthopedic Division Post CPA Congress Course, Halifax
- Effective Referral and Communication Among Disciplines. 2nd.
Back Disability Symposium; Clinical Management of the Disabled Back. Calgary
- The Thoracic Spine. Southern Alberta Orthopedic Unit, Calgary
- Neurovascular Concerns with the Motor Vehicle Accident Patient, Kentucky
Physical Therapy Association
- Research Established Prognostic Factors in the Post-MVA Cervical Patient,
Oregon Physical Therapy Association, Portland OR
- Differential Diagnosis, Southern Alberta Orthopedic Unit
- The MVA Problem. International Symposium on Manual Therapy. Colorado
- The MVA Patient. Colorado Chapter, American Physical Therapy Association,
- Cervical Trauma. Texas Physical Therapy Association, Dallas TX
- Is Your Patient a Pain in the Neck; a New Concept in the Treatment
of Musculoskeletal Disorders, Denver CO
- The Acute Whiplash Patient, Colorado Springs CO
- The Cervico-vestibulo-ocular-spinal reflex dysfunction syndrome, Vancouver
- Neurological Complications and Considerations in Orthopedic Manual
Therapy. Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
- Pelvic Arthrokinematics, Proc. 5th. International Seminar of Orthopedic
Manipulative Therapy, 1984. 96-99. IFOMT, Whakatane, NZ.
- Pilot study to determine the parameters and problems in a study on
the prognostic value of compression and torsion tests on the lumbar spine.
Proc. Canadian Orthopedic Manipulative Therapists 1985. Ortho. Divsion
- Chondromalacia Pisiform, Proc. Canadian Orthopedic Manipulative Therapists
1985. Orthopedic Division CPA, Edmonton.
- An integrated approach to postural evaluation and re-education. Orthopedic
Division Newsletter, Sep 1987. 26-33. Orthopedic Divsion CPA, Edmonton.
- Nystagmus, Orthopedic Division Newsletter, Mar 1989. 37-38 Orthopedic
Division CPA, Edmonton.
- The integration of examination and treatment techniques Orthopedic
Division Newsletter, May 1989. 4-7. Orthopedic Division CPA, Edmonton.
- The evolution of the lumbo-pelvic complex, in The lumbar spine and
pelvis, Lee, D. Churchill Livingston, London 1989.
- The examination of the post-MVA patient. North American Institute of
Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy Newsletter 1:1 1995
- A review of the Quebec Task Force Report. North American Institute
of Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy Newsletter 1:2 1995
- Guest Editor, Candian Orthopedic Division Review November 1995
- Manual Therapy: Biomechanical Assessment and Treatment. A series of
video tapes Swodeam Consulting Inc-KWGN-TV. Calgary-Denver
- Volume 1 Scanning Examination 1994
- Volume 2A Cervical & Cervicothroacic Spines 1992
- Volume 2B Thoracic & Lumbar Spine 1992
- Volume 3 Lower Limb 1992
- Volume 4 Upper Limb 1992
- Volume 5A Advanced Techniques Lower Limb
- Volume 5B Advanced Techniques Upper Limb
- Volume 5C Advanced Techniques Lumbar & Thoracic
- Volume 5D Advanced Techniques Pelvis & TMJ
- Volume 6 The post-Motor Vehicle Accident Patient 1994
- Volume 7 Spinal Manipulation 1995
- The Physiotherapy Investigation and Management of Dizziness (with David
Magee) in Modern Manual Therapy 2nd. Edition. Churchill Livingston.
||Member B.C. Orthopedic Education Committee
||Chair, Examination Committe Orthopedic Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy
||Chair, Education Committee Orthopedic Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy
||Chair, Examination Appeals Board, Orthopedic Division of the Canadian
||Council member, College of Physical Therapy of Alberta
||Chair Investigation Procedures Committee, College of Physical Therapy
||Chair, Investigators Workshop Committee, College of Physical Therapy
||Member, Manipulation Committee, College of Physical Therapy of Alberta
||Member, Investigator Selection Committee, College of Physical Therapy
||Chair, Specialization Petition Committee, Orthopedic Division of the
Canadian Physiotherapy Association
||Member of the Board of Directors of the North American Institute of
Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy
||Vice President Curriculum Division North American Institute of Orthopedic
||Chair, Orthopedic Specialty Council, Canadian College of Physiotherapy
||Member, Manipulation Committee, Alberta College of Physical Therapy